Sunday, February 13, 2011

Initial reflection

I think that this course has gone very well for me. I think that over the course I have gotten more confident of my drawing skills and I'm better at drawing details. I also think that I have improved in brainstorming for projects. Another strength is working with clay, even though we started it towards the end of the term I've had a lot of fun with it and I want to work with it more. I think that a weakness I have is brainstorming too much. With the symbolic portrait it took me a week to draw the whole thing and now I'm going to re-draw it because the first one was just the rough draft. I hope that the final draft will be easier to draw now though. Another weakness I have is painting. When working on the murals I first draw what has to be painted and I put a lot of detail onto it but then when trying to paint it it doesn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I think that after the class is over I'll be thinking about when I'll be able to do art and be motivated to work on it. Even though I like art I sometimes can't get myself motivated to work on it. I'm not really sure how art will influence my life in the future, I think that it's fun and it might be like a hobby.

3 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful...can you imagine, maybe, the brainstorming being the actual thing? Could the tiny drawings in your sketchbook be THE art? Do you feel anything is lost when you move from the "sketch" to the "real thing"...even when you're not painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I think that maybe my sketches/brainstorming could be the final piece. With the symbolic portrait I just started working on the final draft. I'm drawing a smart car but I feel like it doesn't look as much like a smart car as it did on my rough draft. I think that I spend so much time on my sketches trying to get them perfect that then after transferring them they don't look as good anymore and I don't know why. What I like (and don't like) about my sketches though is that they look messy. I like this because then people can't see any little mistakes that I made, but the messiness of the sketch is what makes it the sketch and not the final piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thoughtful but let's keep talking about this. I think there's potential for the sketch to become the final piece. I know it feels weird but I think it's possible.

    ReplyDelete