Friday, February 11, 2011

Art 21 Video "Ecology"

I watched the episode "ecology". The first Artist I learned about was Ursula von Rydingsvard. Her work includes mostly sculptures which are made out of cedar blocks. When she sculpts her sculptures she tries to make them convey emotions (like anger, agitation, humbleness, etc.). She also likes to use opposites in her sculpture (like making it look violent but deeper down still quiet/soft). I think that her work is pretty cool and I never knew how many different looks and styles wood can have. I also find it interesting, because there are different parts in each sculpture (like texture) and sometimes the wood actually looks like rock. I like sculpting and I think that it would be sort of cool to work with sculpting wood (even though it would probably be pretty difficult).
I like this piece a lot and it looks really cool. I'm wondering though how she got it to look gray and transparent.

The second artist I learned about was Robert Adams. He is a photographer. Most of his photographs are of landscapes. In his work the light from the sun plays a very important part. I feel like that his pictures mean different things (depending on what it's a picture of), but one of his books (Turning Back) is about deforestation and also how the spirit has been lost. In some of the pictures the little details that he sees give pictures different meanings. I think that his work is pretty interesting. I usually don't like black and white photos, because they sometimes seem a little boring and don't really give a message, but these are interesting because the pictures seem to be facing towards the sun. The sunlight makes it interesting because sometimes part of the picture is totally white which (I think) shows the intensity of the sun and it draws your attention. I like photography but I think that it sometimes is pretty hard to make an object that's completely boring look interesting.
I like this photo because the smoke is the darkest part so it stands out and looks like it doesn't really belong.

There were also 2 other artists, Inigo Manglano-Ovalle was one of them. I didn't really like his work as much because it had more to with sound/video which I don't find as interesting. The last artist was Mark Dion. I think that his artwork is pretty interesting, yet strange. He mostly works on instillation pieces, in which he likes he likes them to be like a "window into the past". He (sometimes) uses specific materials to give a deeper/ more complete meaning. I find it interesting because I love tiny little useless things, I think that it's cool that they can actually be put together to make something interesting. Also those types of artwork have so much detail that there's always something new to see. I also like how they moved a big tree that had fallen over and brought it over to a new building, that had previously been a hazardous waste dump, where it was the base of a garden.   

I like this installation because
of all the little things. -->
I like the second piece because it combines
nature into the city and is there (not only to
look cool) but also to teach people how
complex nature is.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Alex. Your descriptions of the artists' works are detailed and thoughtful. I can see what their work is about and at what point you accessed it. I also love seeing the captions under the photos. I hope you find more artists that interest you in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete