Thursday, February 24, 2011

Art 21 Video "Place"

The first Artist I learned about was Richard Serra. In his sculptures Richard Serra uses space to make the piece more interesting. When brainstorming for his pieces/coming up with ideas Richard Serra doesn't draw, but instead creates models. Even though he doesn't draw while brainstorming he draws in a journal to keep track of his projects. I think that his sculptures are pretty interesting. I like that they have a sort of interactive part in them since you can go in them. I also like that some of them create an allusion (somewhat) that there is an endless amount of space. I also like sculptures that use curves and I think that it would be fun to do. A peace that I really like is Richard Serra's Charlie Brown, since it's so tall and yet curved and seems to sort of defy gravity.
This is really a really interesting sculpture.

The second artist I learn about was Sally Mann. She is a photographer. In her photographs she doesn't have a hidden message she mainly just does it for fun. Sally Manns is also very spontaneous with her photos in the way that she never really knows what she'll take a picture of she just sees something around her and that's what she uses. For her photographs Sally Mann likes it when they are different and not totally perfect which makes the picture more interesting. I think that her work is interesting. I like photography and I think that the different types of cameras she uses (I think there were multiple) make the image different. I think that with some of her images she tries too hard to make them look imperfect that I can't really see what the object is (the dog bones).


The third artist I learned about was Pepn Osorio. In his installations Pepn Osorio likes to have contradictions, like something that doesn't really make much sense but yet if seen in a different way makes sense. I think that his work is interesting. I really like the house that he made because it had all of these small details, such as the little Ritz box on a table. I think that it would be really cool to make a little house.

2 comments:

  1. Good job AB. Just try to picture me saying to you "WHAT about it is interesting?" every time you type the word interesting. You use that word alot and I don't doubt that you mean it...but what about the work is interesting? And does it do anything else for you other than interest you? Does it make you think of something else? Or feel something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Richard Serra's work I find it interesting because of the way he uses shapes and angles. Sally Mann's work is interesting because it's different (the way she makes fades in certain places) and how she uses light so it captures your attention more. I find Pepn Osorio's work interesting because he uses details in some of his pieces (such as the Ritz box in the house).

    ReplyDelete