Thursday, February 17, 2011

Art 21 Video "Time"

The first artist I learned about was Martin Puryear who is a sculptor. He usually sculpts wood and stone. In Martin Puryears work he likes to make it look like it goes into space. He also likes to use the materials in a way that they might not naturally be. I mostly like his work. I find it really cool how he used multiple blocks of stone and combined them to make them look like (mostly) one piece. I also like that he uses materials in different ways than usual (such as using the stone to make a circular window). I think that it would be really cool to work with wood and working with stone would also be pretty cool (but I think it would be harder).
 









I like the piece to the left because of the smoothness and detail. I like all of the layers in the piece to the right.

The second artist I learned about was Vija Celmins. She is a painter. While creating her paintings she feels like she's "building" it instead of painting. In some of her more detailed work she ends up redoing it/painting over it multiple times and she's feels that having the different layers are like memory's in the painting. She also really wants the painting to draw peoples attention and make them lean forward and look into the painting. I like a lot of her work. Even though I find it a bit tedious to work on the same painting and redoing it multiple times, I really love all of the detail in her work. I also like the shadowing in her pieces.
(I want to add more to this)

2 comments:

  1. Did you find any similarities or differences between the wood work of Martin Puryear and Ursula von Rydingsvard who you looked a few weeks ago?

    I would think you would love Vija Celmins AB...all that detail work reminds me of you a little! You've chosen such great artists for your interests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Ursula von Rydingsvards work is different from Martin Puryear, because her work is more rigid while Martin Puryears work seems to be smoother and more curved.

    ReplyDelete