Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Artist Statement

In elementary school I loved working on art, I used all the materials there; wax, clothe, pencils, crayons, glitter glue, clay and paint. As I got older though I became more cautious about my art and I was worried that other people would think it was awful. I have now become more confident in my artwork and if I think it looks good that's all that counts. Even though I like making art, I never like going to art museums and just looking at the work (especially paintings). When I told an adult about this they said "you just haven't learned how to look at it yet." Which really didn't help me like looking at it.
What I really like about art is that while working on art it calms me and it's fun. I could work on a piece for hours and not get bored. I have always found clay fun and I really like working with it (I finally found out why). I love that if I mess up I'm able to start over by rolling the clay into a ball (even though I haven't done that very often). I also love to squish the clay in my hands. A piece that I think is really me is my clay Chameleon sculpture, even though it's actually about my dad. I love the way it turned out. I think that the sturdiness of it and the way that I formed it shows that it's mine. I also added a little detail where the eyes are looking in different directions, which I think is pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment